Tuesday, September 20, 2011

red light
and theater seating
the setting we're used to
a continent away from carrying my laptop around
me at all times to feel safe
in the bathroom
after I have just taken a shower and there is mist
It's getting harder to believe we're still here

There is always a plan
There is always an escape plan posted and checked by an officer
there is another store where a little boy buys his belt
He is afraid of getting fat
and throws the word like sand onto the others
who freeze by accident
I do not understand how some people are not afraid
how some children are not afraid
how her presence can silence me
The dirt between his fingernails as he picks at his carrot

I saw the child stop,
open the screen door himself
apologize

There is no hard shell around a child's hands
no waiting
always
young blood can see four petals equal a flower
and after the salute of the visitor
when I finally have time to answer
no one is angry
no one is crying
the sadness of one half of a butterfly is noted
and no one can forget

No comments:

Post a Comment